What does flood insurance cover?

Those living in zones prone to flooding in Texas are required to have flood insurance as provided by the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). You know that your San Antonio, TX home needs coverage for damages caused by hurricanes and other natural disasters involving water. What exactly, though, does flood insurance cover? The agents at LeapFrog Insurance can help you understand. 

What does the NFIP offer?

The NFIP offers two types of flood insurance: 

  • Building Coverage;
  • Contents Coverage. 

Building coverage is centrally designed to pay for damages to the structure of your home. Electrical and plumbing systems are covered under this plan as well as foundation walls and staircases. You may also find building coverage handy for recuperating for damages to your large kitchen appliances (i.e., refrigerator, stove, and dishwasher) as well as permanently installed carpet. 

Building coverage does not pay for smaller appliances and personal belongings, which is why you need contents coverage as well. You can file a claim for damages to your microwave oven as electronic equipment under such a plan. Contents coverage may also cover your washer and dryer as well as carpet not covered by building coverage. 

What qualifies as a flood?

An incident is considered a flood if an excess of water on land that is normally dry covers more than two acres or more than two properties. Under such terms, a broken pipe that covers the inside of your home is not considered an incident that qualifies for flood insurance coverage. 

Flood insurance in San Antonio, TX is necessary, though not always understood. The agents at LeapFrog Insurance can help you obtain the right policy so that you are fully protected when the unthinkable happens. Call them today to get started with a quote for coverage.